Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Palin's incompetence: Feature not Bug

Following up on my post from a couple of days ago where I noted that the wingnuts positively like Palin's lack of presidential qualifications, I note the following line in Kathleen Parker's account of the ire that her abandonment of Palin has caused among her conservative readers:

Some of my usual readers feel betrayed because I previously have written favorably of Palin. By changing my mind and saying so, I am viewed as a traitor to the Republican Party -- not a "true" conservative....

The emotional pitch of many comments suggests an overinvestment in Palin as "one of us." Palin's fans say they like her specifically because she's an outsider, not part of the Washington club. When she flubs during interviews, they identify with that, too. "You see the lack of polish, we applaud it," one reader wrote.

Palin's incompetence: A feature, not a bug.

No comments: